Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Brookline Deputy Fire Chief who's not Afraid of any Challenge

By: Mary Vitale

BROOKLINE – One of Keith Flaherty’s fondest childhood memories was going to visit his father at the firehouse in their hometown of Everett. He would walk with his mother to bring his father lunch at the station and then stay for hours, playing inside the big red engines and having a laugh with the other firefighters. When he was off duty, his father even took him to fires throughout Everett to show him how a firehouse operates.

Now, 27 years after becoming a firefighter, Keith Flaherty is Brookline’s deputy fire chief, carrying on the family tradition.

“I just got sucked in,” Flaherty said. “I loved the comradery between the guys at the station and I just loved everything about the job.”

High school friend, Ernie Mollrey, said Flaherty has always possessed the necessary traits for becoming a firefighter.

“Keith has been responsible, loyal and hard working ever since I’ve known him,” Mollrey said. “I can’t imagine him doing anything else, but being a firefighter like his father was.”

Flaherty, who lives in Wilmington with his wife and their three children, joined the Brookline Fire Department in 1982. Today as deputy chief, he is responsible for overseeing five fire stations throughout Brookline, a department that answers approximately 7,500 calls a year and is responsible for 57,000 residents.

Deputy Mike O’Rielly of West Roxbury, who has known Dept. Flaherty for 26 years called him a competent leader.

“He really is one of the best and I’m not just saying that because he’s my friend. I have the utmost respect for him,” O’Rielly said. “He always takes control of the situation and is able to think well under pressure, which enables people working under him to do our job efficiently.”

Lieutenant Joe Bullard of Brookline said Flaherty’s thirst for knowledge about firehouse organization is what distinguishes him.

“He is a fine firefighter,” Bullard said. “He’s knowledgeable and he’s willing to learn more. He is always reading and learning more about different aspects of being a firefighter.”

Flaherty recalled many difficult calls that he has worked as a firefighter. One incident occurred when a cancer patient committed suicide by placing his head in front of an oncoming train near the Brookline Village T stop.

“When you’re involved in an incident, you always try to stay clinical and just get the job done, but once it’s over and you sit down and dwell, you do become emotionally involved in things,” he said. “You know we do see what people think we see, which is the darker side of what goes on in the streets.”

Flaherty said being a firefighter is one of the most exciting and rewarding jobs. He said the comradery between firefighters is one of his favorite aspects of being a fireman.

“To be able to pick up the phone and to have friends who know just know what you’re feeling and thinking is great,” he said. “Being a firefighter has proved to be a great way to really connect with another person.”

Many of Flaherty’s fellow firefighters feel the same way about him.

“He is just a great friend,” Captain Robert O’Connell said. “I’ve known him for 25 years. He’s a wonderful guy who always likes to have a laugh.”

“I really wish I could say something bad about him, but I just can’t” O’Rielly joked. “He’s as good as they come.”

Flaherty said his only regret was not opting to be a member of a larger fire department such as New York City, Boston or Philadelphia. He said when his father died in 1980, his mother was left alone and in declining health so he decided to remain in the area to help take care of her.

“This limited looking around for a bigger job, which is somewhat of a regret,” he said. “But I have never for one second regretted becoming a firefighter…best job in the world.”

Now, Flaherty is trying to figure out what will come next in his future.

“This is a big year for me,” he said. “I’ve reached a point where I’m trying to decide what I want to do in the future. I’ve graduated school, I’ve made deputy chief; I guess I’m trying to pick a new challenge now. I just don’t know exactly what yet.”
-30-

No comments: